Monday, June 25, 2018

My own existence revealed in and through the knowledge of God (Henri Nouwen)


   To say with all that we have, think, feel and are, God exists, is the most world-shattering statement that a human being can make.  When we make that statement, all the distinctions between intellectual, emotional, affective, and spiritual understanding fall away and there is only one truth left to acclaim:  God exists.  When we say this from the heart, everything trembles in heaven and on earth.  Because when God exists, all that is flows from God…

   As soon as I say, God exists, my existence can no longer remain in the center, because the essence of the knowledge of God reveals my own existence as deriving its total being from God’s.  That is the true conversion experience.  I no longer let the knowledge of my existence be the center from which I derive, project, deduct, or intuit the existence of God, I suddenly or slowly find my own existence revealed to me in and through the knowledge of God.  Then it becomes real for me that I can love myself and my neighbor only because God has loved me first.

-Henri Nouwen, ¡Gracias!


No comments:

Post a Comment