Sunday, December 19, 2021

When have you felt the Lord's presence in your life? (Ricardo da Silva SJ)


   How does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?, Elizabeth asks Mary. It’s a reasonable question for Elizabeth to put to her cousin: How is it that Mary I to become the mother of God. But on another level, it’s an extraordinary question: Elizabeth is in awe of God’s presence and feels undeserving of such a special visit. 

   Elizabeth’s question is a question for us, too. Think about the times where, like Elizabeth, you have felt the Lord’s presence in your life. Remember what it felt like to know that God was with you. That’s the promise we’re given today. Emmanuel, from the Hebrew word meaning God-is-with-us. And as you bring yourself to feel God’s presence in your life, in both ordinary and extraordinary ways, ask that same question that Elizabeth asked, as you wait for Jesus’ coming into our world at Christmas, in just a few days now. 

   How does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 
--Ricardo da Silva, SJ 

Image source: Jacopo da Pontormo, The Visitation, detail (1528-1529), https://www.artandobject.com/press-release/morgan-hosts-pontormos-visitation-first-time-us 

No comments:

Post a Comment