Monday, February 7, 2022

The question is no longer How? but When? (Chris Williams SJ)


Mere discipleship 
Sheds easy excuses, 
Burns hot and bright. 
All escapes slam shut. 
Merely strikes with searing clarity 
Of a metallurgist’s mallet. 
Sparks flying 
Bending resistant, habit-bound, 
Rough hewn raw materials 
Into instruments of peace. 
 
Mere discipleship 
Means begin ready 
To give everything away 
For the sake 
Of sorely unloved souls. 
 
Mere discipleship means 
Remaining 
Where Jesus told us he would rest – 
With weary, poor, repugnant, 
Ill and sin filled 
People in pain. 
 
Or rather, 
To recognize 
That I am the ill and sin filled, 
Perhaps hidden 
As I feign fullness. 
 
Just ask some simple questions: 
 
Do I love God more than everything else? 
 
Do I pray every day? 
 
Do I forgive my enemies? 
 
Would I really sell all I have,  
Give to the poor, 
And follow Jesus 
If he asked? 
 
Does the existence 
Of one innocent victim 
Inflict an overwhelming wound? 
 
Does my own indifference 
Garner a guilt that 
Nauseates my every nerve? 
 
Do I believe 
That my heart too 
Bears the original wound 
That with sin continuously pins – 
Today – Christ’s body on the cross? 
 
Can I still believe I am unconditionally loved? 
 
Do I believe God will forgive my greatest sin, 
Even if I commit it 
Over and over again? 
 
Will I give away 
What I see to be my deepest desire 
If God deigns I do so, 
Even when it feels 
Like I’ve lost everything 
That holds me steady? 
 
Do I believe that my spirit must die to live? 
 
Once I see 
How far I am 
From mere discipleship, 
God’s voice is no longer hidden. 
 
The question is no longer How? 
But When? 
 
God’s voice 
The metallurgist’s mallet, 
I cannot miss. 
I can only choose 
Whether or not to submit. 
 
If I do not go now, 
The pounding 
Of the merely mercilessly merciful mallet will 
Still unceasingly echo 
In the haunted hallways of my heart. 

--Chris Williams, SJ            

No comments:

Post a Comment