Monday, March 27, 2017

The Pool of Siloam (James Trower Bullock)

  Go, wash in the pool of Siloam. 
 --John ix.7  
 O Lord, my Saviour, deign to give 
   Thy saving help to me; 
That every moment spared to live, 
   I may come nearer Thee: 
Grant me thy truth and fadeless light 
To guide my steps from sin and night. 
                        
As he, to darkness born, was sent 
   To pure Siloam’s fount, 
May I be led obedient 
   To Zion’s holy mount; 
Led on by faith and duty there 
To bless thy mercy, love, and care. 
                        
To praise thy name that Thou hast shown 
   The Gospel light to me; 
In darkness born, a sinful one, 
   Too vile to look on Thee. 
To pray that in this world of strife, 
                         I may discern the way to life. 
                        
That way which Thou alone, O Lord! 
   Hast purchased with thy blood, 
For all who will fulfil thy word, 
   And live in purpose good. 
Oh!  grant that with such light I may 
Not blindly lose the path to perfect day. 

--James Trower Bullock, “The Pool of Siloam,”
Miscellaneous Poems, vol. 2

Image source:  Duccio, Jesus Opens the Eyes of a Man Born Blind (1308-1311)
For more about this painting, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment