Thursday, November 22, 2018

A Blessing for Thanksgiving, written after Beethoven (Kayleen Asbo)


 May I have the eyes to see
The sacred ordinary miracles that weave their web of light
Around each darkening day:
The dappled dew-dropped leaves that decorate each dawn,
The shimmering sunrise on the glistening grass,
The symphony of birdsong that greets each new morn
And the owl’s lament as the moon rises and sets.
May I be mindful of all the graces I did not deserve
and yet fell upon my thirsty soul:
For the beauty that ran to embrace my hurried, harried eyes and ears,
For the kindness of strangers that softened the shadows of sorrow,
For the loyalty of friends who saw my need and wordlessly offered
their tender touch,
For the courage that Beethoven kindles across the centuries
As he shows us the way
To compose a life of hope in the midst of despair,
Joy in the midst of sorrow,
Love in the midst of loneliness.
No matter what may come,
May my soul, too, remember
To sing a song of Thanksgiving
Until my last, grateful breath.

--Kayleen Asbo,
A Blessing for Thanksgiving, written after Beethoven

To hear the Alban Berg Quartet perform Beethoven's Quartet in A minor Op. 132, Heiliger Dankgesang, which inspired this poem, click on the video below:

 



No comments:

Post a Comment