Sunday, August 22, 2021

We will serve the Lord (Rory Cooney)


Wealth can be an idol, built of gleaming gold,
bringing dreams of paradise, of futures bought and sold.
Some will choose to gather it, all that they can hoard,
but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. 

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
We will serve the Lord, we will serve the Lord.

Pleasure is a siren, promising the flesh,
brief relief from emptiness, a hiding place from death.
Some will choose to chase it until it leaves them bored,
but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. 

Refrain

Power is a hunger, burning in the breast,
to walk among the mighty and trample on the rest.
Some will choose to gain it by lie or guile or sword,
but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Refrain

Father of all mercy, giver of all life,
here we speak our covenant above the noisy strife.
Hear us shout in glory above the pagan horde:
as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Refrain 

To hear We Will Serve the Lord performed by Rory Cooney and Theresa Donohoo, click on the video below. To purchase Cooney’s CD Change Our Hearts, click here. The history of this hymn’s composition (and composer comments) can be found here


Image source: The Israelites Enter the Promised Land, mosaic panel, Santa Maria Maggiore, Italy (5th c.), https://www.christianiconography.info/staMariaMaggiore/arkAcrossJordan.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment