Friday, August 12, 2022

The flame I bear (Ven. Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan)



   Jesus proclaimed that he had come to bring fire to the earth. By continuing his mission, I keep alive the flame that my hands received from Christ Jesus. Just as a runner descends Mount Olympus carrying the Olympic torch, I want to traverse the entire world in order to transmit the flame of Christ to others. 

   The flame I bear is love, the élan of fervour, the strength of God, destined to inflame and consume sin and to renew all things.  But am I really a burning flame or an icy wind? Am I a stove without a flame? ... 

   To feed this fire I must pour the oil of my daily prayer into others. I will prepare their torches so that the Holy Spirit will set them ablaze, dispelling their darkness and renewing the face of the earth. 

--Venerable Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan 

No comments:

Post a Comment