Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Remain in me (Fr. James Martin)


    What might it mean to remain in Jesus today? Well, we can remain or abide or stay in Jesus in three ways, I’d say.

   First, follow his teachings. That is, listen to what he says and put his words into practice. Love. Forgive. Serve the poor. Live the life of the Beatitudes. So remain in him and be faithful to his teachings.

   Second, meditate on his word. There’s a spiritual sense to this as well. Dwell in the Word, in Scripture. Let it be a place that you remain and to which you return in prayer. Also, in an Ignatian sense, think about me, says Jesus. Imagine yourself with me.
Remain in me and let me remain in your prayers and in your heart.

   Third, trust in Jesus. There’s a sense that
Remain with me means Stay close to me and Don’t worry. It would be as if you were a frightened child and your parent said to you, Oh, just stay close to me. All will be well.
 
   At first Remain in me may sound a little odd. But when we think of it, it’s another beautiful invitation from Jesus addressed to the disciples and to us. It comes from the Jesus who loves us, and who prepares a wonderful world for us, and wants nothing more than for us to come and see.

--Fr. James Martin, SJ
Facebook, April 9, 2014

Image source: https://br.pinterest.com/pin/811140582866038052/

No comments:

Post a Comment