Tuesday, July 27, 2021

We feed others (Annie Turner)


   Blessed John the 23rd, a man of great humility and joy who oversaw the Vatican II Council and opened the doors of the Catholic Church to the winds of modernity, used to pray in bed at night with these words: Lord, it’s your Church, not mine. I did the best I can. I’m going to bed.

   This is a good attitude to have. It doesn’t take away our responsibility to vote, or to help the poor and the needy. It just reminds us that ultimately, this is not in our hands. What is in my hands is making soup, bringing some to a vet friend who just had his mouth harpooned by a dentist, and feeding my guys at the end of a long work day.

   It doesn’t always feel like much, but somehow, I think it is much. We feed others. And they go out into the world to feed others. Imagine those hands cradled round a cup of hot homemade soup and I think we have a small glimpse of heaven – a concrete, earthy, nourishing heaven.


--Annie Turner     

Image source: https://www.orientaltrading.com/woman-of-faith-soup-mug-and-coaster-a2-13936781.fltr 

No comments:

Post a Comment