Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Rejoice with me! (Henri Nouwen)


   Celebration belongs to God’s Kingdom. God not only offers forgiveness, reconciliation, and healing, but wants to lift up these gifts as a source of joy for all who witness them. In all three of the parables that Jesus tells to explain why he eats with sinners, God rejoices and invites others to rejoice with him. Rejoice with me, the shepherd says, I have found my sheep that was lost.  Rejoice with me, the woman says, I have found the drachma I lost.  Rejoice with me, the father says, this son of mine was lost and is found.

   All these voices are the voices of God. God does not want to keep his joy to himself. He wants everyone to share in it. God’s joy is the joy of his angels and his saints; it is the joy of all who belong to the Kingdom. 

--Henri Nouwen 

Image source: Eugene Burnand, The Lost Coin, drawing. Illustration for Les Paraboles, 1908. http://artandfaithmatters.blogspot.com/2016/09/art-lectionary-ten-coins.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment