Tuesday, May 16, 2023

We will make our dwelling with him (St. Julian of Norwich / M. Patricia Ball)

   For our soul sits in God in true rest,
and our soul stands in God in sure strength,
and our soul is naturally
rooted in God in endless love.

 --Julian of Norwich 

    It is good that God is here.

   Jesus further said to his disciples: “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.

   How many of us start our day with the prayer that goes something like this, “My God, I offer you all my thoughts, words and deeds of this day”? I know that at times I have considered saying this to be justification for how I lived God’s word and prayed unceasingly as Paul urged us to do. 

   At the end of some days, though, I wonder how many of those thoughts, words, and deeds I am proud of. I, like the apostles, fail to preach the gospel through my actions. I do find comfort though in believing that God has been by my side throughout the day and still loves me. Amazing! 

   I also take comfort in the words of Richard Rohr, when he says, “For Jesus, prayer seems to be a matter of waiting in love. Prayer isn’t primarily words; it’s primarily an attitude, a stance, a modus operandi.” We can pray unceasingly and live the gospel if we find sustenance in remembering that we are engulfed in God’s loving embrace. In that embrace we can find the peace he gives and that we so desire. 

   It is good that God is here. 

--M. Patricia Ball, M.S.R.N. 

Image source: Ruth Tietjen Councell, Father’s Embrace, https://vocationnetwork.org/en/articles/show/252-back-in-god-s-embrace-how-to-make-a-good-confession
Quotation source 1
Quotation source 2

No comments:

Post a Comment