Sometimes it’s hard to remember that it’s God’s work we’re participating in. Sometimes we feel that all the responsibility lies with us. And yet the responsibility that lies with us is to remain open to the one who is really in charge, and to follow his lead.
How many days do I wake up and feel like I’m the one who has to lead, and I forget that I’m following? It’s always a bad thing when you forget you’re following and go where you want, because that could be the wrong place. Actually, it usually is. Better to remember that we are disciples, followers, and that it is his revelation that we follow, his revelation that we are opening ourselves to.
We become the church he has called us to be when we let him work and we trust in his love and in his revelation, a revelation that takes place in each of us. Because the idea is that eventually all will come to know him, all will know the depth of his love, and all will choose to be followers. Then, we will live life in its fullest, in him.
--Fr. Patrick Michaels,
Homily, August 27, 2023

No comments:
Post a Comment