Thursday, February 7, 2013

Do not be afraid...



This Sunday’s readings have a unifying message:  to reject fear and to live in God’s love is to accept our call as children of God.

Isaiah, whose unclean lips are purified by the seraphic fire, says yes:  Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send?  Who will go for us?’  Here I am, I said, send me!

Paul, the least of the apostles, yet transformed at Damascus, says yes, encouraging the Corinthians to do the same:  By the grace of God, I am what I am, and his grace to me has not been ineffective… [H]old fast to the word I preached to you.  Paul has accepted the call to allow God to work in him.

Peter, a sinful man, falls in fear at the knees of Jesus, but Jesus’ reassurance in Luke's gospelDo not be afraid – causes him to say yes as well:  They left everything and followed him.

We are called from our fear in baptism, where God says to each of us, in effect:  Do not be afraid.  You are a child of God:  know that, live that.  Like the psalmist who has strength built up within him, we are filled with God’s grace; there is no room for fear when love fills us.


This reflection is based on Fr. Pat's Thursday Scripture class.
Photo source

No comments:

Post a Comment