Saturday, February 21, 2015

Rainbow (Maya Angelou)

Click on the video above to listen to 
poet Maya Angelou's reflection on 
the rainbow God placed in the clouds 
after the chaos of the great flood... 


There’s an African-American song, 19th century, which is so great.  It says, When it look like the sun wa’n’t gonna to shine anymore, God put a rainbow in the clouds.  Imagine!  And I’ve had so many rainbows in my clouds.  I’ve had a lot of clouds.  But I have had so many rainbows.  And one of the things I do when I step up on the stage, when I stand up to translate, when I teach my classes, when I go to direct a movie, I bring everyone who has ever been kind to me, with me:  black, white, Asian, Spanish-speaking, Native American, gay, straight, everybody.  I say, come with me, I’m going on the stage.  Come with me, I need you now.  Long dead, you see?  So I don’t ever feel I have no help.  I've had rainbows in my clouds.  And the thing to do it seems to me, is to prepare yourself, so that you can be a rainbow in somebody else’s cloud, somebody who may not look like you, may not call God the same name you call God, if they call God at all, you see?  And may not eat the same dishes prepared the way you do, you see?  May not dance your dances or speak your language. But be a blessing to somebody.  That’s what I think.

Video source

No comments:

Post a Comment