Saturday, June 27, 2015

That hand of fire that touched my lips (Denise Levertov)


                        All others talked as if
                        talk were a dance.
                        Clodhopper I, with clumsy feet
                        would break the gliding ring.
                        Early I learned to
                        hunch myself
                        close by the door:
                        then when the talk began
                        I’d wipe my
                        mouth and went
                        unnoticed back to the barn
                        to be with the warm beasts
                        dumb among body sounds
                        of the simple ones. 
                        I’d see by a twist
                        of lit rush the motes
                        of gold moving
                        from shadow to shadow
                        slow in the wake
                        of deep untroubled sighs.
                        The cows
munched or stirred or were still.  I
was at home and lonely,
both in good measure.  Until
the sudden angel affrighted me—light effacing
my feeble beam,
a forest of torches, feathers of flame, sparks upflying:
but the cows as before
were calm, and nothing was burning,
            nothing but I, as that hand of fire
touched my lips and scorched my tongue
and pulled my voice
            into the ring of the dance.

--Denise Levertov
Poem source
Image source:  Luke Allsbrook, The Vision of Isaiah, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment