Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Food for the Soul (Dorothy Day)

    Food for the body is not enough. There must be food for the soul.  

Without the sacraments of the church, primarily the Eucharist, the Lord’s Supper, as it is called, I certainly do not think that I could go on…. I do not always approach it from need, or with joy and thanksgiving.  After 38 years of almost daily communion, one can confess to a routine, but it is like the routine of taking daily food.  But Jesus himself told us at that last supper, Do this in memory of me.  He didn't say daily, of course.  But he said, as often as you drink this wine and eat this bread, we would be doing it in memory of him.

I can bear anything between two Masses.

--Dorothy Day, The Duty of Delight
Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment