Sunday, May 15, 2016

In the Kitchen (Fr. Killian McDonnell)

  In the sixth month the angel Gabriel…   (Luke 1:26)  
  
Bellini has it wrong 
I was not kneeling 
on my satin cushion, 
in a beam of light, 
head slightly bent. 
  
Painters always 
skew the scene, 
as though my life 
were wrapped in silks, 
in temple smells. 
  
Actually, I had just 
come back from the well 
placing the pitcher on the table 
I bumped against the edge, 
spilling water on the floor. 
  
As I bent to wipe 
it up, there was a light
against the kitchen wall,
as though someone had opened
the door to the sun.

Rag in hand, 
hair across my face,
I turned to see who was entering,
unannounced, unasked.

All I saw
was light
white against the timbers.
A voice I’ve never
heard greeted me,

said I was elected, would
bear a son who’d reign
forever.  The spirit would
overshadow  me.
I stood afraid.

Someone closed the door.
I dropped the rag.
--Fr. Killian McDonnell

Image source:  Alexandra Goncharova, Woman Washing Floor (2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment