Monday, June 20, 2016

Longing to See God (St. John of the Cross)

   I live, but not in myself, 
and I have such hope 
that I die because I do not die. 
                          
I no longer live within myself 
and I cannot live without God, 
for having neither him nor myself 
what will life be? 
It will be a thousand deaths, 
longing for my true life 
and dying because I do not die. 
                          
This life that I live 
is no life at all, 
and so I die continually   
until I live with you; 
hear me, my God:   
I do not desire this life, 
I am dying because I do not die. 
                         
When I am away from you 
what life can I have 
except to endure 
the bitterest death known? 
I pity myself, 
for I go on and on living, 
dying because I do not die. 

A fish that leaves the water 
has this relief: 
the dying it endures 
ends at last in death. 
What death can equal my pitiable life? 
For the longer I live, the more drawn out is my dying. 

When I try to find relief 
seeing you in the Sacrament, 
I find this greater sorrow:   
I cannot enjoy you wholly. 
All things are affliction 
since I do not see you as I desire, 
and I die because I do not die. 

And if I rejoice, Lord,   
in the hope of seeing you, 
yet seeing I can lose you 
doubles my sorrow. 
Living in such fear 
and hoping as I hope, 
I die because I do not die. 
                        
Lift me from this death, 
my God, and give me life; 
do not hold me bound 
with these bonds so strong;   
see how I long to see you; 
my wretchedness is so complete 
that I die because I do not die. 
                        
I will cry out for death 
and mourn my living 
while I am held here 
for my sins. 
O my God, when will it be 
that I can truly say:    
now I live, because I do not die? 

--St. John of the Cross, 
Stanzas of the Soul that Suffers with Longing to See God

Poem source (For an exploration of this poem, go to the poem source and click on the link at right.)

No comments:

Post a Comment