Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I elude your presence (Denise Levertov)

  Lord, not you, 
it is I who am absent. 
At first 
belief was a joy I kept in secret, 
stealing alone 
into secret places:  
a quick glance, and away – and back, 
circling. 
I have long since uttered your name 
but now 
I elude your presence 
I stop 
to think about you, and my mind 
at once 
like a minnow darts away, 
into the shadows, into gleams that fret 
unceasing over 
the river’s purling and passing. 
Not for one second 
Will my self hold still, but wanders 
anywhere 
everywhere it can turn.  Not you 
it is I who am absent. 
You are the stream, the fish, the light, 
the pulsing shadow, 
you the unchanging presence, in whom 
all moves and changes. 
How can I focus my flickering, perceive 
at the fountain’s heart 
the sapphire I know is there? 

--Denise Levertov, “Flickering Mind”

No comments:

Post a Comment