Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Teach me how to see Creation as you made it (Brother Isaiah)


Renewal entails recovering and respecting the natural rhythms 
inscribed into nature by the hand of the Creator.
--Jorge Mario Bergolio

Harmony humility
I take it back, I take it back to where we started
I take it back, I take it back to the Garden
I take it back, I take it back to where we started
I take it back, I take it back to where the heart is
Harmony humility

Making humble, making humble, beating heart
Teach me wisdom and teach me in the secret part
Teach me rhythm, teach me soul, teach me mercy
Teach me how to love this world and You firstly
Teach me how to see Creation as you made it
With that childlike wonder untainted
‘Cause in Your designs I find my delight
In Your designs I find my delight

Refrain

Laudato si, laudato si, mi signori
Praise be to you, my Lord, through our sister Mother Earth
Who sustains and governs us, producing varied fruit
With colored flowers and herbs.

  In the words of this beautiful canticle, St. Francis of Assisi reminds us that our common home is like a sister with whom we share our life, and a beautiful mother who opens her arms to embrace us.  This sister now cries out to us because of the harm we have inflicted on her by our irresponsible use and abuse of the goods with which God has endowed her. We have come to see ourselves as her lords and masters, entitled to plunder her at will.  The violence present in our hearts, wounded by sin, is also reflected in the symptoms of sickness evident in the soil, in the water, in the air and in all forms of life. This is why the earth herself, burdened and laid waste, is among the most abandoned and maltreated of our poor; she groans in travail.  We have forgotten that we ourselves are dust of the earth, our very bodies are made up of her elements, we breathe her air and we receive life and refreshment from her waters.

  Creation is harmed where we ourselves have the final word, where everything is simply our property and we use it for ourselves alone.  The misuse of creation begins when we no longer recognize any higher instance than ourselves, when we nothing else but ourselves.

  Francis of Assisi invites us to something more:  to see nature as a magnificent book in which God speaks to us and grants us a glimpse of his infinite beauty and goodness.  Rather than a problem to be solved, the world is a joyful mystery to be contemplated with gladness and praise.

--Jorge Mario Bergolio, Pope Francis, Laudato Si


Happy Earth Day, Everyone!

To hear Brother Isaiah perform Harmony Humility, click on the video below.  To purchase Poco a poco (which includes the quotes from Pope Francis), click here.


Image source:  Sue Betanzos, St. Francis of Assisi, https://www.michaelvalliant.com/tag/canticle-of-brother-sun/


No comments:

Post a Comment