Sunday, October 18, 2020

To find God (Becky Eldredge)


  There are the thin places that occur in my life that are unique, special places that I do not get to visit very often, but when I do, the felt presence of God is almost overwhelming. Many of mine are places in nature, such as the beach, my grandparents’ farm, and being in the North Georgia Mountains, and they invite me to understand the vastness and creative power of our creator.  As I stand and soak in the beauty of nature these places offer, I also find that I understand that my mere presence in life is but one piece of God’s magnificent, ongoing creative work.

  Over time, I [have begun] to realize that there are some very basic rhythms and routines of my life that allowed me to readily and easily find God:  snuggling with my daughter, Abby, while sipping my morning coffee; sitting down to lunch with my kids after preschool to hear about their day; reading to my kids and our night time ritual of prayer; and savoring the few quieter moments with my hubby after the last door of my kids’ room was closed.  I was surprised to find that the rhythms of my life are spotted with moments that easily allow me to find God.  Without realizing it, these moments are checkpoints to see how the ones I love are doing and even more importantly, still points that allow me to savor the gifts in my life and to deepen my awareness of God in all things.

--Becky Eldredge, Thin Places         

No comments:

Post a Comment