Wednesday, January 13, 2021

River (Elaine Dempsey)

This is a debut of a work in progress inspired by the power of single photo to shift hearts and expand world views. May it be a recognition of the short-lived lives of Oscar and Valeria Ramírez of El Salvador.

My intention is to quench a thirsty soul
My reflection’s meant to show you all the world
Every good deed you toss into the drift
Ripples out into a hundred other gifts

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh – as the river flows,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, a story yet untold
I’ll be the muse, I’ll be direction,
I’ll be your playful recollection
I’ll be the bend that sets your course straight
And in the end open to all that’s great, in you

I am borrowed from the heart beats yet to come
I am sorrowed from the recklessness of some
I am current, if you blink time slips away
Ever urgent that we act without delay

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh – as the river flows, 
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, a story yet untold
I’ll be the muse I’ll be direction
I’ll be the guide for your intention
I’ll be the bend that sets your course straight
And in the end open to all that’s great in you

My ambition is to wash away the pain
Never thought I’d be the source of death and blame
For a father and his daughter washed ashore
What the hearts sees rips us to the core
This is not who I am

They walked a thousand miles to find
The bridge was closed, access denied
The Rio Grande moved swiftly by
A family mourns. A nation cries.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh – as our attention drifts
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh – we are better than this
I’ll be the muse I’ll be direction
I’ll wash away your apprehension
I’ll be the hope that sets your course straight
And in the end open to to all that’s great,
Open to all. That’s great.
Open to all.
Open.

To hear Elaine Dempsey perform her tribute to the lives of Oscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his daughter Valeria (© 2020), click on the video below. To read their story, click here; please be forewarned that the image that inspired this song is profoundly disturbing.



Image source: Rio Grande Bend near Boquillas Canyon, Big Bend National Park, Texas, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Grande#/media/File:Rio_Grande_in_Big_Bend_NP.jpg
Video source 
Article source

No comments:

Post a Comment