Friday, October 20, 2023

God wants my whole life (Henri Nouwen)


   I am growing in the awareness that God wants my whole life, not just part of it. It is not enough to give just so much time and attention to God and keep the rest for myself. It is not enough to pray often and deeply and then move from there to my own projects… To return to God means to return to God with all that I am and all that I have. I cannot return to God with just half of my being. As I reflected this morning again on the story of the prodigal son and tried to experience myself in the embrace of the father, I suddenly felt a certain resistance to being embraced so fully and totally. I experienced not only a desire to be embraced, but also a fear of losing my independence. I realized that God’s love is a jealous love. God wants not just a part of me, but all of me. Only when I surrender myself completely to God’s parental love can I expect to be free from endless distractions, ready to hear the voice of love, and able to recognize my own unique call. 

--Henri Nouwen, The Road to Daybreak 

Image source: Joachim Wtewael, The Tribute Money, oil on copper (1616), https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Joachim_Wtewael_-_The_Tribute_Money_-_WGA25913.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment