Tuesday, November 14, 2023

I loved the beyond (Pope Francis / Mark Strand)

[Jesus] prepares for us that embrace with the Father,
the place for all eternity…
Jesus does not separate from us,
but has opened the way for us,
anticipating our final destination:
the encounter with God the Father,
in whose heart there is a place for each one of us.
 

--Pope Francis,
Homily, May 14, 2023

In the days
When it could be said I was one of you, I loved
The beyond as somebody only can who is bound 

By the earth. All that I wrote was a hymn to desire,
To the semblances and stages of bliss. 

--Mark Strand, Wallace Stevens Comes
Back to Read His Poems at the 92nd Street Y 

Image source: https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/spiritual-life/did-christ-really-go-to-prepare-a-place-for-me.html

No comments:

Post a Comment