Monday, January 23, 2012

I believe in God,... Almighty, Creator...

I BELIEVE IN GOD, ... ALMIGHTY, CREATOR...

“I deeply believe that God is almighty.  But I do not believe God is a magic act.  God is much more than that.  God is almighty enough to enable me to be what I can become without having to depend on a Superman God… [T]o see the Almighty God we must wrest ourselves open to the almightiness of God in us, around us, beneath us, before us, in every possibility that impels us to be more than we are.”

“To say, ‘I believe in the creator’ proclaims, out of the center of my soul, that I know that life is a gift, a responsibility, a venture into human accountability for which there is no excuse acceptable, no justification adequate enough to explain why I did nothing to complete a world given to me for safe-keeping.”

Practice:  Brainstorm with your loved ones to make a list of how you demonstrate your responsibility for your world… and then add one more world-preserving action to the list, and practice it. 

For example, consider enrolling in “Catalog Choice,” a website that allows you to eliminate having store catalogs mailed to your home, preserving trees and sparing the air from transportation pollution.  For more information, go to: https://www.catalogchoice.org/

Quotations from Benedictine sister Joan Chittister’s book In Search of Beliefwhich explores the Apostles’ Creed phrase by phrase, demonstrating how the Creed is not a static set of rules or statements, but a living document that speaks to the deepest meaning of our existence and serves as a life guide, calling all of us to engage more deeply in relationship with God and with each other.  Sr. Chittister’s thoughts challenge us to live the Creed more fully as Christians; her writing is thought-provoking and inspirational.


No comments:

Post a Comment