Monday, January 16, 2012

I believe in God, the Father...

I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER...

“In the long line of human history, … it is not belief in God that sets us apart.  It is the kind of God in which we choose to believe that in the end makes all the difference… To say ‘I believe in God’ means that I commit myself to make God a presence in the center of my life, in the humdrum of my days, in the dregs of my struggles.”

Practice: Too easily we limit who God is to make the God more comfortable for us.  What are the limits that I place on my belief in God? What do I think God can’t do? What am I not willing to let God do?

Practice the presence of God in one of the ways suggested by 17th-century friar Brother Lawrence:
  • practicing “little interior glances,” simple moments of remembering, noticing, or just seeking God’s presence in the midst of whatever is going on.
  • repeating “a little phrase that Love inspires,” letting a word, phrase or image repeat itself quietly deep inside us as we go through our daily activities. (try ‘I am the beloved of God’ or ‘I love you’ or ‘rest in God’)
  • fostering the habit of “conversing everywhere with God,” entering all situations with a sense of relationship with God, a trust in Christ being with us.
  • praying for an open, all-embracing contemplative attitude in all times and places, what he calls “the loving gaze that finds God everywhere.”



Quotation from Benedictine sister Joan Chittister’s book In Search of Belief
which explores the Apostles’ Creed phrase by phrase, demonstrating how the Creed is not a static set of rules or statements, but a living document that speaks to the deepest meaning of our existence and serves as a life guide, calling all of us to engage more deeply in relationship with God and with each other.  Sr. Chittister’s thoughts challenge us to live the Creed more fully as Christians; her writing is thought-provoking and inspirational.









No comments:

Post a Comment