Saturday, March 31, 2012

April 1st 2012: Passion Sunday Gospel Reflection


Mark 14:1-Mark 15:47

Today’s Gospel retells the climax of all human history; all creation is made new and brought to new life through Jesus’ death and resurrection. The most valuable reflection is to re-read today’s Gospel, to really spend some quiet time putting yourself into the scene and asking what meaning this Palm Sunday has for your life. Below are some questions to guide that reflection…

Reflection/Discussion Questions
Judas betrays Jesus for 30 silver coins
-What are the ways that I ‘sell out’ Jesus by my actions or word to gain the ‘reward’ of pleasure, popularity, pride, convenience, etc.?

Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, gave thanks and said “This is my body…this is the blood of my covenant”
-Do I believe that Jesus is made present in the Eucharist at Mass for us? Do I ask God to help me believe? When I struggle to believe who could I ask questions to or ask advice from?

Jesus asked his Disciples to stay and keep watch with Jesus while he prayed, but they fell asleep. Jesus says, “So you could not keep watch with me for one hour?”
-What are the times that I spend in conversation with God? Do I regularly spend enough time with God in prayer? How could I better keep holy Sunday as God’s day?

Jesus was scared and did not want to die, but said in prayer “not as I will, but as you will”
-Am I open to listening to what God wants from me? Do I have the courage to follow through with this even when I am asked to do something that I don’t want to do or am afraid of?

Jesus allowed himself to be condemned for something he did not do by Pontius Pilot
-Am I willing to be accused of something that I didn’t do? Do I always have to have the last word or have other people think that I am right? Is other people’s opinion of me one of the most important things to me?

Although it may be hard to do, put yourself in the perspective of Peter. He was so eager and confident that he would not betray Jesus yet before the cock crowed he denied Jesus three times.
-What are the times that I deny my faith through what I do and say or what I fail to do and say?

What are the crosses I bear in my life? Am I willing to offer them up to God and to ask Him to help me carry them?


No comments:

Post a Comment