Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Feeding at that table has nourished my soul (Dorothy Day)


  And if you and I love our faulty fellow human beings, how much more must God love us all?  If we as human parents can forgive our children any neglect, any crime, and work and pray patiently to make them better, how much more does God love us?

  You may say perhaps:  How do we know He does, if there is a He!  And I can only answer that we know it because He is present here with us today in the Blessed Sacrament on the altar, that He never has left us, and that by daily going to Him for the gift of Himself as daily bread, I am convinced of that love.  I have the Faith that feeding at that table has nourished my soul so that there is life in it, and a lively realization that there is such a thing as the love of Christ for us.

  Christ is bread on our altars because bread is the staple of the world, the simplest thing in the world, something of which we eat and never get tired…

--Dorothy Day, Another Letter to an Agnostic

Image source:  Carl Bloch, Supper at Emmaus (1870s), https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bloch_Carl_The_Road_to_Emmaus.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment