Monday, October 29, 2018

I visit the orchards of God (Walt Whitman)


Swift wind! Space! My Soul!  Now I know it is true what I guessed at;
What I guessed when I loafed on the grass,
What I guessed while I lay alone in my bed . . . . 
and again when I walked
the beach under the paling stars of the morning.  […]

I visit the orchards of God and look at the spheric product,
And look at quintillions ripened, and look at quintillions green.

I fly the flight of the fluid and swallowing soul,
My course runs below the sound of plummets.

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass (1855)
Image source:  www.etsy.com

1 comment:

  1. Father Pat, my grandparents, your great grandparents, LaBarbera, had a Pomegranate shrub/tree that grew up the side of their home in Galveston. The fruit could be picked from the second story porch. Thought you might like to have a little family lore. Jeanne Marie

    ReplyDelete