Wednesday, September 11, 2019

In that instant, I saw His eyes (Leslie Haskin, Between Heaven and Ground Zero)


  Just then, in that instant, I saw His eyes.  I recognized them.  They were the eyes of that trembling father in a smoke-filled room on the ninety-third floor of Tower One, dialing his little girls for the last time.  Those were the eyes behind that calming voice singing Amazing Grace in a crowded and slippery stairwell, trapped outside a roof door when the ceilings began to cave.  The eyes of the people who stayed behind with the handicapped victims waiting for police officers who never made it up the stairs.  Those were the eyes of firemen who pushed me to safety, the doctor who cared for me for more than a year free of charge, the therapist who visited my home regularly so that I could sleep a little, the children who loved me, the brother who prayed nonstop, and the pastor who became my friend.  Those were the eyes of God.

--Leslie Haskin, Between Heaven and Ground Zero:  
One Woman’s Struggle for Survival and Faith in the Ashes of 9/11


Image source 2:  7 Incredible Stories of Heroism on 9/11, https://www.businessinsider.com/7-incredible-stories-of-heroism-on-911-2015-9

No comments:

Post a Comment