Sunday, December 22, 2019

A Holy Interruption of Hope (Colten Biro, SJ)


  The sense of waiting for a hope that seems distant can be exhausting, which is why Christmas and the Incarnation might be more important to me this year than last.  What I need is a Holy Interruption of Hope – I need to experience that mystery of Jesus’s love in his coming down into the mess and stress of my world.  I need to remember that Christmas and the Incarnation are not just things that happened once upon a time in ancient Palestine, but [that] there are ongoing interruptions of hope into my world.

  I want to be heard by God.  I want to know that despite the anxiety, exhaustion, and despair of a year, that Christ hears me.  And I want to believe that in my waiting, I’ll be ready for Christ to appear and interrupt the despondency.  I want to sing, Rejoice, rejoice, Emmanuel! realizing not that Christ has solved all the problems, but that Jesus is present and with me.

--Colten Biro, SJ, 
O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, 
Interrupt Us with Hope, 
The Jesuit Post

To read Fr. Biro’s complete article, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment