Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Is God waiting in the stillness? (Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI)


  In my daily living, I have little time for [God] and little time for myself.  I am completely involved from morning to evening in all the things I have to do, and I even succeed in eluding my own grasp, because I do not know how to be alone with myself. My job possesses me; the society in which I live possesses me; entertainment of various kinds possesses me; but I do not possess myself.  And this means that I gradually go to seed like an overgrown garden, first in my external activities and, then, in my inner life, too.  I am propelled along by my activities, for I am merely a cog in their great machinery.

  But now God has drawn me out of all this.  I am obliged to be still.  I am obliged to wait.  I am obliged to reflet on myself; I am obliged to bear being alone.  I am obliged to bear pain and I am obliged to accept the burden of my own self.  All this is hard.

  But may it not be the case that God is waiting for me in this stillness?

--Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, 
A Very Personal Advent of One’s Own

Image source:  Rembrandt, The Dream of Joseph (1645)

No comments:

Post a Comment