Tuesday, November 8, 2022

The end of the spiritual life (St. Thomas Aquinas / St. Teresa of Jesus)


The end of the spiritual life is that 
man unite himself to God by love.
 
--St. Thomas Aquinas, 
Summa Theologica 

   O Lord, who could describe how great a gain it is to cast ourselves into Yours arms and make an agreement with You: You will take care of my affairs and I of Yours. 

   For what am I, Lord, without You? What am I worth if I am not near You? If once I stray from Your Majesty, be it ever so little, where shall I find myself? 

   O my Lord, my Mercy and my Good! What more do I want in this life than to be so near You that there is no division between You and me? 

   O Lord of my life, draw me to Yourself, but do it in such a way that my will may ever remain so united to You that it shall be unable to leave You. 

--St. Teresa of Jesus, 
Conceptions of the Love of God

No comments:

Post a Comment