Friday, March 29, 2024

Into Thy hands I commend my spirit (Michael Haydn / St. John Paul II Schola Cantorum)

The deeper sorrow carves into your being,
the more joy you can contain.

--Khalil Gibran, The Prophet

    On this Good Friday, we commemorate Christ's suffering and death on the cross for our sake. As a subject of meditation, we share this setting of Tenebrae Factae Sunt by Michael Haydn, which the St. John Paul II Schola Cantorum recently performed at Blessed Trinity Church in Buffalo: 

Tenebrae factae sunt, dum crucifixissent Jesum Judaei:
et circa horam nonam exclamavit Jesus voce magna:
Deus meus, ut quid me dereliquisti?
Et inclinato capite, emisit spiritum.
Exclamans Jesus voce magna ait:
Pater, in manus tuas commendo spiritum meum.
Et inclinato capite, emisit spiritum. 

Darkness fell when the Jews crucified Jesus:
and about the 9th hour Jesus cried with a loud voice:
My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?
And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.
Jesus cried with a loud voice and said,
Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit.
And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.
 

Click HERE to be taken to Youtube, if you would like to hear St. John Paul II Schola Cantorum perform Tenebrae Factae Sunt. 

Image source: https://kmooreperspective.blogspot.com/2016/07/father-into-your-hands-i-commit-my.html 
Video source

No comments:

Post a Comment