Monday, April 9, 2012

On the third day, he rose again from the dead...

ON THE THIRD DAY, HE ROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD...

“To say, ‘I believe in Jesus Christ… who rose from the dead’ is to say… [that] I myself am ready to be transformed.  Once the Christ-life rises in me, I rise to new life as well…  Until we find ourselves with new hearts, more penetrating insights, fewer compulsions, less need for the transient, greater awareness of the spiritual pulse of life, resurrection has not really happened for us.  Jesus has risen but we have not.  Resurrection is about transfiguration.  Life as we once knew it, defined it, shaped it – if we really believe in the Risen Christ – rises redefined.  Transformation in any of us calls the rest of us to transformation.  Change changes everybody.  Relationships shift.  Expectations alter.  Insight deepens.  We begin to see as we have never seen before.”

Practice:  Life begins anew every morning when we wake.  Make it a practice this week to begin your day – before you even rise from bed – with a morning offering, a prayer for transformation throughout the day to come.  You might choose from one of the following:
  • Lord, one more day to love you! 
Brother Charles de Foucauld
  • Lord, today is the day I begin! 
St. Philip Neri
  • Jesus, shine through me and be so in me that every person I come in contact with may feel your presence in my soul. 
John Henry Cardinal Newman 

  • My God, send me thy Holy Spirit to teach me what I am and what thou art! 
St. John Vianney 


  • May the Passion of Christ be ever in our heart. 
St. Paul of the Cross 


  • And to be more with Him, more with Him, not merely with oneself. 
Pope John Paul II

Quotations from Benedictine sister Joan Chittister’s book In Search of Belief, which explores the Apostles’ Creed phrase by phrase, demonstrating how the Creed is not a static set of rules or statements, but a living document that speaks to the deepest meaning of our existence and serves as a life guide, calling all of us to engage more deeply in relationship with God and with each other.  Sr. Chittister’s thoughts challenge us to live the Creed more fully as Christians; her writing is thought-provoking and inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment