Monday, May 28, 2012

I believe in the Holy Spirit...

I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT...

“The Holy Spirit, we are told, is the spirit of Wisdom, of the feminine Sophia, in the Church.  Each of us, we argue theologically, has a piece of that Wisdom, the Spirit working in us to build the people of God, the reign of God, the assembly of God on earth…  This Spirit, this living Wisdom that is God, lifts us above ourselves, tunes us to the voice of the Creator around us and within us, comes upon us with gentle force or terrible consciousness, and cares for life, day in, day out, unrelenting in its urge for wholeness.  The Spirit prods us, proves us, brings life in us to creative fullness.  The Spirit is God with us, in us, around us, breathing us to life.”

Practice:  Pray St. Augustine’s Prayer to the Holy Spirit daily this week:  “Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy. Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy. Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy. Amen.”

Quotations from Benedictine sister Joan Chittister’s book In Search of Belief, which explores the Apostles’ Creed phrase by phrase, demonstrating how the Creed is not a static set of rules or statements, but a living document that speaks to the deepest meaning of our existence and serves as a life guide, calling all of us to engage more deeply in relationship with God and with each other.  Sr. Chittister’s thoughts challenge us to live the Creed more fully as Christians; her writing is thought-provoking and inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment