Monday, November 30, 2015

Please let this be my final prayer... (Edwidge Danticat)



  Throughout the month of November, we have been sharing Monday posts helping us to remember the souls that have passed before us.  In May 2015, the Haitian-American author Edwidge Danticat wrote a piece on the occasion of her mother's death in which she imagines what her mother's final prayer might have been.  It begins as follows:

Dear Lord,
  Please let this be my final prayer, my very final prayer.  Let there be no more need for me to ask anything else of you and of this sometimes shaken and sometimes troubled but beautiful earth.  Please let this be the last time I think of you, before we see each other face-to-face, light-to-light, wind-to-wind, or sky-to-sky, or however we will be. I can't wait.  I can't wait to see what I will be: what colors, what shade, what light pillar, what rainbow, what moonbow, what sunbow, what glory, or what new sky.  Please let me now accept all of this.  As I have already accepted this world and all that it is and has been.  And please let the world go on.  Let the sun still rise and set.  Let the rain still fall, quiet and soft at times, hard at other times.  Let the oceans be still or roar, as they always have...
To read what follows, click here.

During the month of November, we remember All Souls...
Image source
Poem source

No comments:

Post a Comment