Monday, December 21, 2015

I want to be pregnant with God, but... (Enuma Okoro)

  I want to find my place amongst the people of advent  
but I can't quite decide who I am.  
I want to be pregnant with God  
but it takes such a toll on the body.  
I have given birth to things before  
And labor is hard and untimely.  
  
I want to welcome angels and say yes to anything.  
But if I saw an angel I would hold him hostage  
and send a ransom note of questions  
demanding answers, to God.  
  
I want to cheer blessings from the sidelines  
with a belly growing with prophecies,  
and have friends and strangers take hope.  
Because God has a season for those whose seasons have passed.  
  
I want to put my trust in dreams  
and in the words of the ones I love,  
to believe that God is as close as the one who would share my bed.  
  
But mostly I want to break from being the one  
who falls silent in the presence of all that's holy,  
who loses her words in disbelief,  
terrified by claims of joy and gladness,  
unable to believe that prayers are answered.  
Image source 1
Image source 2: Maria gravida (Mary at the Spinning Wheel), 
Németújvár, Hungarian National Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment