Friday, December 4, 2015

The might of a prayer (Thomas Merton)

 
  In honor of Fr. Pat's anniversary of ordination to the priesthood,
a quotation from the Trappist monk and author Thomas Merton:

  I once thought that would be the consummation of all joy – to be united by a bond of love – to be lost in His presence there as if nothing else mattered. 

  And now – there is much more.  Instead of myself and my Christ and my love and my prayer, there is the might of a prayer stronger than thunder and milder than the flight of doves rising up from the Priest who is the Center of every priest, shaking the foundations of the universe and lifting up – me, Host, altar, sanctuary, people, church, abbey, forest, cities, continents, seas and worlds to God and plunging everything into Him.  (Thomas Merton, The Song of Jonas)

Thank you, Fr. Pat, for opening your arms in love
to the community of Our Lady of Mount Carmel!
Congratulations, and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment