Wednesday, December 23, 2015

If it takes not place in me... (Meister Eckhart)

  We are celebrating the feast of the Eternal Birth which God the Father has borne and never ceases to bear in all eternity… 

   What good is it to me if this eternal birth of the divine Son takes place unceasingly, but does not take place within myself?

   And what good is it to me if Mary is full of grace if I am not also full of grace? What good is it to me for the Creator to give birth to the Son if I do not also give birth to Him in my time, in my culture?

  This, then, is the fullness of time:  When the Son of God is begotten by us.

--Meister Eckhart (1260-1327),
paraphrased by Matthew Fox

Image source:  Nativity, detail of the door of the Baptistry in Florence, by the sculptor Ghiberti (1378-1455)

No comments:

Post a Comment