Saturday, March 12, 2016

Clothed in my brokenness (Kirsten Wilson)

    then  
            with the soft thud of dropped stones
            and the stammered shuffle
            of departing feet
            all the eyes are gone
         
            all but his
         
            and his eyes they meet me
            with such intensity
            it drives the air from my chest
         
            even were i clothed
            it seems
            i would stand naked before him
         
            and i understand why my accusers ran
            
            but i 
keep looking 
his eyes will not look away 
keep looking 
hear him say 
has no one condemned you 
                                    
so many men have undressed me 
with their eyes 
have scorned 
and glared 
and judged 
                                    
but they are gone 
and his eyes look at me 
not to possess 
but to create -- 
God before he rested 
forming me 
up out of the gritty dust 
                                    
dressing me with his eyes 
clothing me with 
mercy and 
dignity and 
honor 
  
and i find myself clothed more richly 
in my brokenness 
than ever when I was whole 
clothed so richly 
in his eyes 
my heart finds hope that i might indeed 
                                    
go and sin no more 

--Kirsten Wilson, excerpted from John 8 (a poem in three parts)

To read the entire poem, including the voices of Jesus and the Pharisees,
click below:

No comments:

Post a Comment