Monday, March 12, 2018

The beams of your light (St. Augustine)


   O Eternal truth, true love and beloved eternity.  You are my God.  To you do I sigh day and night.  When I first came to know you, you drew me to yourself so that I might see that there were things for me to see, but that I myself was not yet ready to see them.  Meanwhile, you overcame the weakness of my vision, sending forth most strongly the beams of your light, and I trembled at once with love and dread… I sought a way to gain the strength which I needed to enjoy you.  But I did not find it until I embraced the mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who is above all, God blessed for ever.  He was calling me and saying:  I am the way of truth, I am the life.
--St. Augustine, Late Have I Loved Thee

Image source: Fra Angelico, The Conversion of St. Augustine (detail), c. 1430.

No comments:

Post a Comment