Thursday, May 9, 2019

Sunday Gospel Reflection, May 12, 2019: My sheep hear my voice; I know them and they follow me...


Who is cut off from the love of God? 

  To follow Jesus is to establish and nurture a relationship with him, to recognize that he provides me something I cannot get any other way. In John’s Gospel, Jesus tells the Jews assembled on the Portico of Solomon, I know my sheep and they know me; no one can take them out of my hand.  No matter how frightened I (or any disciple) might become, nothing can ever stand between me and God except me, because I can step away.  But once I know God loves me, I can’t turn off that access; I can’t stop God from loving me.  God loves us into existence and his love will never change; we may willfully block God’s access to us, but we cannot change his love for us, nor are we ever cut off from it, though we might choose to turn away from it.

  When, in the Acts of the Apostles, Paul and Barnabas encourage the converts they made the first week they preached in Antioch in Pisidia to come back a second week, many do, but much of Paul’s Jewish audience is filled with jealousy.  Paul does not condemn them, but his concern is clear:  you reject the word of God, he tells them, and condemn yourselves as unworthy of eternal life.  It is Paul’s way of clarifying what stands in their way, so that they can change as they need to.  In no way is the Jewish audience cut off from God’s love; they have but to believe in Jesus Christ for salvation to be possible.  They too are God’s people, the sheep of his flock, as Psalm 100 puts it; he made us, his we are.  They must simply come to know in their heart that this is the case, and believe.

  Likewise, in the Book of Revelation, John’s vision includes a great multitude from every nation, race, people, and tongue.  They have survived the time of great distress, the elders tell John, and they will be shepherded by the Lamb who is in the center of the throne, joining their lives to his, as we must do, that we might encounter springs of life-giving water and stand before God’s throne as well. 

  Who is every cut off from the love of God?  Simply put, no one – no one who chooses to hear the word of the Lord and know that the Lord is God and join their life to his – for we are all in the Father’s hand.  May we one day stand before God’s throne as well, in perfect union, in perfect love.

This post is based on Fr. Pat’s Scripture class.
Image source:  www.wordclouds.com

No comments:

Post a Comment