Monday, July 16, 2012

Who is Our Lady of Mount Carmel?

The Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

July 16 is the Feast of the patroness of our parish, Our Lady of Mount Carmel.  
So what exactly are we celebrating?

Tradition has it that on July 16, 1251, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to St. Simon Stock, a Carmelite friar, presenting to him the Brown Scapular.  Years ago, children were often given a small scapular on the occasion of their First Communion.  A brown scapular is made of two small pieces of cloth, usually with a prayer on one and an image of Our Lady on the other, joined by two thin connecting strips of cloth or ribbon.  The scapular is worn around one’s neck, with one part hanging in front and the other in the back.  Wearing the scapular daily is a sign of devotion to Our Lady.

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, the feast celebrates Mary’s special care for those who are devoted to her, and who demonstrate that devotion by wearing her scapular.  A special grace of final perseverance is granted to them. 



The next time you are in OLMC, check out the stained glass window over the main doors to the church.  If you look carefully, you'll see a scapular in Jesus' hand (photo above)...

Prayer to Our Lady of Mount Carmel
O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin, assist me in this my necessity. O Star of the Sea, help me and show me herein that you are my Mother.  O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart, to succor me in this my necessity. There are none that can withstand your power. O show me herein that you are my Mother.  O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us that have recourse to thee. (3 times).  Sweet Mother, I place this cause in your hands. (3 times)

No comments:

Post a Comment