Monday, June 5, 2017

To risk being changed (John O'Donohue)

   I bless the night that nourished my heart 
To set the ghosts of longing free 
Into the flow and figure of dream 
That went to harvest from the dark 
Bread for the hunger no one sees. 
                        
All that is eternal in me 
Welcome the wonder of this day, 
The field of brightness it creates 
Offering time for each thing 
To arise and illuminate. 
                        
I place on the altar of dawn: 
The quiet loyalty of breath, 
The tent of thought where I shelter, 
Wave of desire I am shore to 
And all beauty drawn to the eye. 
                        
May my mind come alive today 
To the invisible geography 
That invites me to new frontiers, 
To break the dead shell of yesterdays, 
To risk being disturbed and changed. 
                       
May I have the courage today 
To live the life I that I would love, 
To postpone my dream no longer 
But to do at last what I came here for 
And waste my heart on fear no more. 

--John O’Donohue (1956-2008),
A Morning Offering,
from To Bless the Space Between Us

No comments:

Post a Comment