Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Let something essential happen (Ted Loder)

  O God, 
Let something essential happen to me. 
Something more than interesting, 
or entertaining, 
or thoughtful. 
O God, 
Let something essential happen to me, 
something awesome, 
something real. 
Speak to my condition, Lord, 
and change me inside where it matters, 
a change that will burn and tremble and heal 
and explode me into tears  
or laughter 
or love that throbs or screams 
or keeps a terrible, cleansing silence 
and dares the dangerous deeds. 
Let something happen to me 
which is my real self, God… 

O God, 
let something essential and joyful happen to me, 
something like the blooming of hope and faith, 
like a grateful heart, 
like a surge of awareness 
of how precious each moment is, 
that now, not next time, 
now is the occasion  
to take off my shoes 
to see every bush afire, 
to leap and whirl with neighbor, 
to gulp the air as sweet wine 
until I’ve drunk enough 
to dare to speak the tender word: 
Thank you. 
I love you. 
You’re beautiful. 
Let’s live forever beginning now 
and I’m a fool for Christ’s sake. 

--Ted Loder, Guerillas of Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment