Sunday, March 5, 2023

Listen to him (Vivian Cabrera)

   [In the story of the Transfiguration,] while [the disciples] stayed and faced this unknowing, even though they were afraid, I don’t know if I could have done the same. I want to believe I could have but my lived experiences tell me otherwise. It always feels like something terrible is going to happen right before God reveals himself to us. And why do we feel the urge to want to run away? What can I do to make me stay? The answer lies in what the Gospel says: This is my son, listen to him. 

   Our hearts can tell us what our minds can’t comprehend. They urge us to stay. As we enter Lent this year, let us sit in the certainty of what our hearts tell us, these hearts that were created by God, for God. Let us cry out what the psalmist says: Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call; have pity on me and answer me. Of you my heart speaks, you my glance seeks. It’s up to us to stay and wait… long enough to let the Lord show up and speak. 

--Vivian Cabrera 

Image source: https://tableprepared.com/2014/03/19/this-is-my-beloved-son-listen-to-him/
Quotation source

No comments:

Post a Comment