Friday, March 17, 2023

St. Patrick's Breastplate


    St. Patrick's Breastplate is a popular prayer attributed to one of Ireland’s most beloved patron saints. According to tradition, St. Patrick wrote it in 433 A.D. for divine protection before successfully converting the Irish King Leoghaire and his subjects from paganism to Christianity. (The term breastplate refers to a piece of armor worn in battle.) However, more recent scholarship suggests its author was anonymous. In any case, this prayer certainly reflects the spirit with which St. Patrick brought our faith to Ireland! 

    Often, in times of difficulty, people sometimes pray a shorter version of this prayer as a shield for divine protection, using just the following 15 lines about Christ: 

Christ with me, 
Christ before me, 
Christ behind me, 
Christ in me, 
Christ beneath me, 
Christ above me, 
Christ on my right, 
Christ on my left, 
Christ when I lie down, 
Christ when I sit down, 
Christ when I arise, 
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me, 
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me, 
Christ in every eye that sees me, 
Christ in every ear that hears me. 

You can read the full prayer by clicking here

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! 

Image source: St. Patrick, stained glass window, Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Port Clinton, Ohio, https://www.ncregister.com/blog/what-st-patrick-can-still-teach-the-world 

No comments:

Post a Comment