Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Miserere mei (Vox Luminis)


Psalm 51, often referred to as the Miserere, is the psalm David is said to have sung when he recognizes his grievous sin against God that caused the death of Bathsheba’s husband Uriah.
 
Miserere mei, Deus: secundum. magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum, dele iniquitate meam. 

Have mercy on me, God, in accord with your merciful love; 
In your abundant compassion blot out my transgressions. 

But note that there is a significant moment of transition in the psalm, when David recognizes not only his need for forgiveness, but for transformation: 

A clean heart create for me, God; renew within me a steadfast spirit.
Do not drive me from before your face, nor take from me your holy spirit.
Restore to me the gladness of your salvation; uphold me with a willing spirit. 

The Latin text of the Miserere, also known as De Profundis, has often been put to music, particularly by masters of the Baroque era such as Marc-Antoine Charpentier, Jean-Baptiste Lully, and Gregorio Allegri. 

To hear Vox Luminis’ rendition of Marc-Antoine Charpentier’s haunting Miserere, click on the video below:


Image source:  Girolamo dai Libri, Initial M with David in Prayer
https://www.christianiconography.info/metropolitan/december2009/davidPrayerLibri.html
Video source


No comments:

Post a Comment