Sunday, March 12, 2023

The water that I shall give you (Henri Nouwen)


   In the midst of Lent I am made aware that Easter is coming again: the days are becoming longer, the snow is withdrawing, the sun is bringing new warmth, and a bird is singing. Yesterday, during the night prayers, a cat was crying! Indeed, spring announces itself. And tonight, O Lord, I heard you speak to the Samaritan woman. You said: Anyone who drinks the water that I shall give you will never be thirsty again; the water that I shall give you will turn into a spring inside him, welling up to eternal life. What words! They are worth many hours, days, and weeks of reflection. I will carry them with me in my preparation for Easter. The water that you give turns into a spring. Therefore, I do not have to be stingy with your gift, O Lord. I can freely let the water spring from my center and let anyone who desires drink from it. Perhaps I will even see this spring myself when others come to it to quench their thirst. 

--Henri Nouwen



Image source 1: He Qi, Samaritan Woman at the Well, https://slideplayer.com/slide/12214556/
Image source 2:  Fr. Patrick Michaels, drawing made on March 12, 2020, during the last Scripture class before the many, many long months of quarantine during the pandemic.  This drawing remained on the board in O'Brien Hall until well after we had begun having Mass in the church again, as a reminder to those of us who love Fr. Pat's class (and his drawings) of what we would someday regain, post-pandemic.  There are other pictures, including close-ups, here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2957158777678858&type=3
Quotation source

No comments:

Post a Comment